vrijdag 7 september 2012

Paperwork. We meet again.

It's been a couple of days since I posted anything on the blog. I've been busy with some of the project documentation, since that plays an important part at HAN university. Right now I'm doing a start-up analysis of my project and at the same time thinking up the story for my game. After that you'll finally start to see some artwork show up on the blog.

Experiments are also something I'm having to figure out, it seems that everyone will have to do two of them in this minor. What this means is that we'll have to discover something new or something we aren't too sure of, and use that something in our project. It's mainly done by comparing, analysing and applying. For example, my first experiment will be to find out in which software it's best to make my game in. The best possible candidates for this are; Adobe Flash, Game Maker and Unity. And although I made my demo in Flash, I'm still not certain if that's absolutely the best program for me to work with. So I'll be asking myself: Which of these 3 programs is the fastest and easiest to learn? What program has the best functions to develop a point-and-click game in? Where can I get these programs? How much do they cost? Etc. After comparing the programs to each other I should end up with one program that suits my point-and-click needs the best. My second experiment planned will be to figure out the best suitable art-style for my game. Comparing different art-styles to each other and analysing the plus sides and the down sides. Brainstorming, sketching, playing games and watching movies for visual inspiration. Seeing what goes best with the tone and feel of my game and then actually applying that to my game. Hmm, this paperwork actually sounds like fun..

Another thing that was introduced to us minor newbies was doing research. Our first class about this particular subject was yesterday. You see, every student has to pick a certain aspect of their project and do a research on it. What's important is that this research must have useful and interesting information that could actually be usable. (To my knowledge though it doesn't have to be applied to the project.) Another requisite is that at least three experts -of that particular field- must be interviewed with their expertise and knowledge somehow used in the research. Because of this last part, I find the research very interesting to do and I'm actually looking forward to this. It's the thought of utilising experts to make your research an infinite amount more credible and bringing this high-level relevancy and possibly one-of-a-kind information to the table. That is what interests me the most about it and it actually makes me want to read up on everyone's research (if done right), even if the subject doesn't interest me that much. This is something I think the minor has got nailed down.

So after having the talk last week with my mentor Jeff Cook, I came to the conclusion it would be best if I'd choose 'visuals' as the subject to do a research on. Seeing as I consider that the most important aspect of my project. For my experts, I tried to contact the people that point-and-click fans swear by and the mid-core gamer would at least recognise. Dave Grossman, Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert. I sent them an e-mail, told them of my situation and asked them if they could help me out with my research. I didn't ask any questions yet, it was just to see if they would help me. It's really exciting for me because I used to play, still play their games so much, it would be amazing to have these legends answering my questions, partaking in my research. So I'll just have to wait and see if I hear anything from them. And of course I'll keep y'all informed on the matter.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten